Psychology is the study of mind and behavior. The field aims to understand individuals and groups and how they behave and interact in society. Psychologists try to explore the mental functions of a person as well as social behavior and neurological processes that dictate the behavior. Although psychology is deeply rooted in natural science, it is a social and behavioral science.
Psychology is a vast field and consists of perception, cognition, emotion, personality, motivation, relationships, and behavior. Although psychology uses empirical methods to infer causal and correlational relationships, it also relies on the social sciences, natural sciences, humanities and philosophy for information. Psycholgy is used in treating mental disorders, but is also applied in other fields such as law, education, media and health.
Psychology dates back to ancient civilizations. Many of the Greek philosophers have writings that are quite rich in psychological information. Humans have always been interested in the way we interact and think. You would be surprised to know that there is a handful of Medieval thinkers that discussed different aspects of psychology. These include (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_psychology) :
- Ibn Sirin, who wrote a book on dreams and dream interpretation;
- Al-Kindi (Alkindus), who developed forms of music therapy;
- Ali ibn Sahl Rabban al-Tabari, who developed al-'ilaj al-nafs (sometimes translated as "psychotherapy"),
- Al-Farabi (Alpharabius), who discussed subjects related to social psychology and consciousness studies;
- Ali ibn Abbas al-Majusi (Haly Abbas), described neuroanatomy and neurophysiology;
- Abu al-Qasim al-Zahrawi (Abulcasis), described neurosurgery;
- Abu Rayhan al-Biruni, who described reaction time;
- Ibn Tufail, who anticipated the tabula rasa argument and nature versus nurture debate.
Ibn Zuhr (Avenzoar) described disorders similar to meningitis, intracranial thrombophlebitis, and mediastinal germ cell tumors; Averroes attributed photoreceptor properties to the retina; and Maimonides described rabies and belladonna intoxication.
Witelo is considered a precursor of perception psychology. His Perspectiva contains much material in psychology, outlining views that are close to modern notions on the association of ideas and on the subconscious.
There is no doubt that psychology is a huge field with many different applications. The discipline is as deep as the human mind itself. Whether you are interested in mental disorders, the development of humans, how criminals think, or even how to market a product, psychology gives insight to how the human mind works and behaves. If you feel like you are struggling with your psychology classes or feel like there is too much on your plate, don’t hesitate and find a tutor that can give you the help you need. Look below and find a tutor that works for you.
Tutorspree will link you with a tutor that is knowledgeable in the field and is willing to structure a lesson plan around your needs so you can get the most out of each tutoring sessions.